Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cancer Sucks


Sometimes I wonder if God handpicks our friends for us?  I'm sure he does!

I still remember the first time I met one of my dearest, closest friends.  We were sophomores at OSU in some crazy "Inquiry Based Chemistry" class; aka science for dummies.  We were bright eyed, bushy tailed, and the only 19 year old girls who weren't in a sorority and we. were. married.  

A timeline of our lives together almost resembles a soap opera of sorts.  Long hours of studying under our tree at OSU, fairy tale and not so fairy tale marriages  Christmas lights, Pumpkin parties, semester Y, child birth, boxers (DOGS!), and ambitious photography.  I can tell this girl anything.  Actually, I have told her everything, and she still loves me!  Doesn't she merit some sort of award?

So when she called me last week and told me something I never thought I would hear her say, my heart literally stopped.  "Pray for me...I just found out I have cancer."  I could literally taste the bile building up in my throat.  My eyes burned, and my heart panicked.  

What if we don't get to live out our life long dream of raising our children to be God-fearing, steak and potato eating, Elton John fans together?  What if we never get to live out our remaining years in our little house by the sea, retelling old stories, laughing about how we freaked out when we recognized our first facial wrinkles or cellulite dimples?  I was struck with such a fear of losing her, it literally overpowered me. 

 I have honestly never prayed so hard in my entire life for God to heal her so she can raise her children without pain, love her husband without fear, and live her quirky, adoring life the way she had always planned.  When I had my surgery a week ago today, all I could think about was how she was going to have to do the same thing in just four short days but her outcome may not be as... joyous... as mine.  

Monday she went through one of the hardest things she will (hopefully) ever have to do.  I waited by my phone for two days like a teenage girl waiting on her new boyfriend to call.  Finally she told me.  The cancer was gone!  The doctor had miraculously removed the disease entirely during surgery and she wasn't going to need chemo or radiation.  WHAT JOY!  

Little Friend,  this post is for you.  Thank you for always answering the phone at 2 am when I am freaking out, helping me solve child rearing puzzles, and for being that friend that sat by me that one day in science class..I love you so so so much!

xoxo Summer



Looking fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment