Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Money in the Bank

Why do teachers get paid the big bucks? Who knows. Maybe it's because we get coughed on a kagillion times a day. Perhaps it's because we can diffuse temper tantrums in less than two minutes. My husband would say its because we have to supply 75% of our supplies and snacks.

MAYBE its because when a kid pees his/her pants and we send their nap mat home for Mom or Dad to wash, they return it to you bare handed in the same nasty plastic bag you gave it in the previous day. And all you can do is take it and smile. GAG.

Then I reflect on my day with my little Loves and how much I impact their lives. I smile when I recall a kiddos' conversation on 'what dinosaurs smell like'. And how hard a poor hungry boy hugged me before he left today because I gave him an apple to snack on. The grin on a girls' face when she figured out her number puzzle in math stations. (This girl has been trying to master it since January!).

I might not have millions in my bank account or drive a Bentley but I am super loaded in love and happiness. Helping children grow and experiencing life thru their curious little eyes gives me immeasurable glee. Children are our world's greatest resource and I truly believe that. I thank God daily that he gave me the gifts to guide and love. Teaching isn't all birthday parties, recess, and potty breaks. There is heart break, sleepless nights, and unmatched fulfillment. Next time you talk to a teacher, give them a hug. Chances are, they need it! After all, that is how WE measure wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment