Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Flaming Potatoes

I'm avoiding writing my paper (for a grad school class) this week.  It's due Friday.  I've done everything but write this paper.  I've had my chinchilla neutered today for God's sake.

This is exactly what Bestie T said the second she hopped into my car this afternoon...  And for the first time in my life I was speechless.  I don't even know how to respond to that.  Then I had questions...

  What?  Neuter a chinchilla?  Don't those things live for like 90 days anyways?  (Apparently not, Bestie T said they last up to 20 years!)  Upon further inquiry, I learn that a).  the vet has NEVER neutered a chinchilla before.  ever.  and b). she is charging Bestie T 'as much as a cat neuter...'  That's like a bajillion bucks!  Wow.

   It's raining when we go to pick up "Max".  I am rendered speechless again when Bestie blurts "Oh no, it's raining.  I'm going to have to carry him under my shirt.  I don't want a moldy chinchilla! "  She was serious.  Their fur is super fine or whatever so they have to take dust baths.

Now, there is something you need to know about Bestie T.  She is not so amazing with high maintenance anything (she killed an orchid!) and responsibility can be a tad on the 'eh whatever' side.  She means well, trust me.  But she is forgetful. I am now questioning her ability to handle these furry, strange creatures...

Once Max is happy in his cage with his mate, Bestie T attempts dinner.  She rants and raves about these delicious potatoes she makes.  I'm excited!

18 minutes, smoke inhalation, fire department phone call, and escaping baby later, I run for my life head home with my children and what's left of my nose hairs...


When I get home and Husby asks me why our children smell like burnt toast, I just smile and my heart fills with the love I have for my crazy, super domesticated  amazing friend.  



Ah, the adventures we will have this summer!  I can't wait!!!
xoxo Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment