Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Life on the wild side...of rice!


I saw a recipe this summer that intrigued me because everything could be made on the stove top.  Basically it's a long grain rice dish with a meat and whatever vegetables are in season.  You chop everything up and cook it with the rice.  YUMMY!  I never add a lot of spices of my own because the meat and veggies take on the flavors of the rice. 

Here's what you need:
  • 1 box of Wild Long Grain rice mix.  I have tried both the 'ready made' rices (Uncle Ben's) and the traditional cook for 30 minutes rice (rices?).  The best one thus far is Uncle Ben's (yes it takes a while to cook but worth it!).

I found it at Walmart and Food Pyramid.  I'm sure it's available anywhere.

  • Meat- I buy what is on sale.  You will cut the meat up into bite sized pieces to cook it, chicken or cubed steak works well with the rice.  My favorite thing to do is buy marinated or pre-seasoned chicken in the fresh meat area of my grocery store (like behind the meat counter where you have to ASK the guy for meat).  I ask for 3 chicken breasts.  If it's cubed steak, I just buy the smallest package which normally has three steaks in it MAX. 
  • Veggies- Since it's summer and squash and zucchini squash is on sale a lot, I always throw one or two in.  Baby carrots, green peas...possibilities are endless.  (I have even thrown in a can of diced tomatoes for a punch of color).
Once you have everything:
1.  Saute the veggies and meat in a bit of EVOO.  Give it about 7-10 minutes on a medium heat.
2.  Prepare the rice according to directions in the same skillet as your veggies and meat.  I almost always have to add extra water (like a 1/2 a cup at times) towards the end of the cooking process.  The box normally says it takes about 20 minutes to cook...I always end up cooking it for 30 or more...
3.  You will know when it is done because the rice will be chewy but not hard.  (If it feels funny in your mouth, it probably needs another 5 minutes!)



It's really an easy dish and so dynamic.  The flavor possibilities are endless!  My favorite part is it only takes a few ingredients.  My 11 month old also loves it...then again...Rylie loves any type of food.  HA!

My disclaimer: Although I am not currently on WW and I'm not sure the points plus values of long grain, wild rice, I'm sure it's better for you than plain ol' white rice... When I googled it, the closest thing I got was 5 points for half a 'pouch' of "Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Ready Rice". That's not that bad!

I hope you try the Wild Rice recipe.  Let me know what you think! 

Happy Cooking!
Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment