Saturday, September 7, 2013

Turkey Day

"Want to go hike Turkey Mountain with us?" 

What an innocent question.  What an innocent name for a mountain.  How tame.  Small.  Fluffy almost.  So when I pulled up to the "Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Park" I had to put my eyes back in my head and resist the urge to turn around.

Clearly a before pic...

  Turkey Mountain is, in fact, a GINORMOUS trek that should not be attempted by anyone 'not so fit'.  I say that...We were passed by a family...and while Sweet Kendra and I were huffing, puffing and wheezing-- death grips on poor trees to hold us up-- a man carrying a toddler all but floated by. 

Let's start from the beginning.  How enthusiastic we were!  We marched up to the giant map and assessed our 'trekking options'.  That's when things got serious.  The PINK trail is 5.7 MILES.  The innocent map states that that trail takes 2-3 hours on foot.  PASS.  Ironically there are 2 other trails that say the same thing!  We opt for the BLUE trail.  Had I really read the map before our hike, I would have known better...

 
Off we go!  UP "Lipbuster" hill (which should really be named "big horrendous torture hill").  Our three athletic friends happily hiked.  Kendra and I made it a good ten feet then realized just how many Weight Watchers activity points we were actually going to bank today!
 
Past "Jelly Legs; Meat Grinder, Snake; and Bomb Cellar" we go.  People swish by on mountain bikes.  Dogs happily bark!  We are truly enjoying ourselves...after the stinging burning feeling in our thighs resorts to an awkward, achy numbness of exhaustion. 
 
 
 
An hour into our Urban Wilderness escapade, we realize we made a wrong turn amidst the forest that is Turkey Mountain.  I resorted to stuffing my water bottle in my shirt to cool off...Kendra sat down.  Rach, Steph, and Amy just smiled.  Remind me to start doing lunges and aerobic activities daily...
 
Back on our own trail we have made, a calmness sets in.  A breeze blows and leaves swirl around us.  I know that sounds ridiculous but we all seriously had a moment with nature and God.  It was AWESOME.  So was the view!
 
 
LOOOOVE them!





We made it down the mountain and I felt quite accomplished.  My entire lower body was on FIRE and breathing was optional at that point.  But it was worth it!




Turkey Mountain, you were brutal.  But you were also beautiful.  Thank you!

PS- I never got to see a turkey.  You can imagine my disappointment...


Aleve and Icy Hot are my night cap of choice tonight!
XOXO Summer



No comments:

Post a Comment