Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bow Ties with Bacon and Peas


Ya'll, this dish is SO YUMMY!  Thank you Prevention Magazine!


You will need:
Bow Ties with Bacon and Peas
3 slices of bacon (ya'll know I used three times that......)
3 med. leeks (only white, pale green parts)-- 4 c.
1 1/2 c frozen peas (I used what I had-- 1 CAN canned petite green peas)
1 box bow tie pasta
2 lg eggs
1/2 c finely grated Parmesan (I normally use freshly grated but I had a ton of that powdery 'fake' parm just sitting there....I hate that stuff but it worked for this!)

  • Boil pasta in water-- you will be saving some pasta water!


  • Cook bacon in a large skillet, make it crispy.  Drain on paper towel, save grease and cook chopped leeks in it for about 7 minutes until golden.  Add peas, cook another 3 minutes.  Reserve in skillet off heat.


  • When pasta is done, reserve 1 cup pasta water.  You are going to whisk (in a separate bowl) 1/4 c of the cheese, 1 tsp pepper, 2 eggs, and pasta water.  SLOWLY add water, you don't want to cook the eggs in the hot water and get weird eggy lumps (GROSS).


  • Add egg mixture and pasta to skillet of vegetables on a medium heat.  Stir constantly, the eggs will cook fast.  The cheese and egg mixture make this amazing coating on the pasta.  It's yummy!  This process only takes about 3 minutes-- the mixture should coat all of the pasta.  Top with bacon and remaining cheese.  YUMMO!
 

**Ya'll should know, I couldn't find leeks at Aldi's or Target, my primary grocery stores and I never had time to scope out Whole Foods...So I used 1/2 a chopped green pepper and I cooked it the same time as the recipes calls for the leeks.  It still turned out great!  But leeks are a super food, I encourage you to try it as is!**

What did you cook up Sunday?
XOXO Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment