Thursday, October 25, 2012

Honey Boo...Boo :(

Since school has started for me again, I have had crazy days at work and tiresome nights with my poor sick babies.  

The good news, Mr. Z had a great checkup at his 2 month check...weighing in at a whopping 12 pounds.  I mean, come on!  He is already in size TWO diapers.  TWO...  Good golly!  Anyway, now that my initial shock factor has worn off, here we are with the ah-mazing Dr. Ross!  
He is such a wonderful man!  BEST. DOCTOR. EVER.  I'm so blessed to have him deliver both of my children and also be their pediatrician.  

The point of this post, however, is to share with you the complete fantastic-ness of honey.  Who knew it was so much more than a sweetener or delish stuffing in biscuits?  My dearest friend Candace told me if you heat up a tablespoon or more of it and dispense it to your child, it takes away their cough.  I thought she was joking until my second day back to work...Poor Bee was up all night coughing.  The next night I was prepared!



I heat a small amount of honey in the dish (like 4 seconds in the microwave..seriously, I did 10 secs the first time and it was so hot I had to shove it in the freezer for ten minutes to cool it down!).  Then I suck it up in the syringe and slowly squirt it in kiddo's mouth before bed.  She loves it and it truly does calm her cough all night.  HA!  I knew there was a reason we called her BEE!  :)  

I hope this helps all you mommies out there with sick babies.  It really does break your heart when they don't feel good!

Thankful God gave us Bees (and honey!),
Summer

***DISCLAIMER:  Never give honey to infants younger than 1 year. Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This bacterium makes a toxin that can cause infant botulism. This rare but serious form of food poisoning affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Unlike adults, infants haven't developed beneficial bacteria in their digestive tracts that can control botulism spores and prevent growth of the bacterium and production of its toxin.

Botulism spores are also found in uncooked food. For this reason, feeding an infant any undercooked food is risky as well.
Source(s):
http://www.mayoclinic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment