Monday, October 7, 2013

Starbucks and Donuts

Having re-affirmed my faith recently, I have ignored the nagging feeling of GO TO CHURCH for too long. That being said, Bestie Red and Steph let me go with them!

 I grew up "not in church" solely because we grew up in an Islamic country far across the Atlantic...which wasn't as welcoming to the Christian culture as one might imagine. Sorta like being a turd in the punch bowl-- get my drift? 

And when we did go to church with my beloved Granddaddy every Sunday during the summers, it was a traditional service. I'm talking sit up straight, don't laugh, don't talk, don't chew gum, don't BREATHE. In fact I remember one time my Sister and I were taking communion and we were up at the altar and my mom made some weird noise while drinking her grape juice and we lost it. We could not stop laughing. I thought I was going to explode. Then we looked over at poor Granddaddy...and his look said it all...nedless to say, we missed out on Sunday afternoon cobbler that day...

 I digress. I want Jesus. Church. Worship. And let me tell you, after one trip to LifeChurch.tv, I am HOOKED. Like a marlin on a deep sea line! (Can ya tell I'm excited?!) 

Last minute, irrational decision was to take the kiddos with me. But I'm glad I did. As soon as we walked in the doors I felt like the president of the United States (except people actually LIKED me). Everyone said hello and made me feel so welcome! Then I looked over to the right. 

Ya'll I almost squealed with delight! FREE Starbucks coffee (which I don't drink) but you also get FREE doughnut holes and water!!!!!! And candy! Can this really be church? God would want me to eat the doughnut holes I decided. It's my reward for waking up at 6:30 on a SUNDAY to get anywhere looking half decent with two semi-coherent toddlers! 

After drooling a little too long over the free goodies, I was whisked off to "LifeChurch.tv KIDS". And handed a Mommy packet that included curriculum! For two year olds! CRAZY! And it's all free!!!! SO, I get free doughnuts, child care, and a chance for adult time to praise Him?! Yes PUHLEEZE! 

Turtle went to the "Starry Night" room for littles and Bee was in The Ark ? I was too overwhelmed with happiness to remember... (I would like to interject with this little gem: After coming home, I went to change Turtle's diaper prior to laying him down and guess what? They already did it! God bless 'em! They even put a little sticker on the front of his diaper saying 'Lovingly changed at LifeChurch Kids!" Who came up with that?! Ha-larious!) 

I happily wander awestruck into the "sanctuary" which looked more like a concert/stadium. Instead of a pulpit and cross, there was a stage and fog lights. Fog lights. I haven't seen fog lights since I've been to a Nelly Concert. Then the real kicker-- there was a live band blasting ah-mazing music and one of the lead singers was stylishly dressed all the way down to her grunge boots! My Momma would have just had a hay-day with that one! I actually felt a tad overdressed...everyone around was wearing jeans INCLUDING the pastor. 

Let's tally up what I've learned: 
-free food -free, AMAZING child care 
-live music that's not boring
 -I can wear JEANS?! 

Then the pastor opened his mouth and it was life changing. That's all that needs to be said. I will be there every Sunday at 8:30. 

 After a quick hour, I left feeling refreshed, excited, and deaf (kids we a liiiiiitle loud in the car!) 

 Peace, Love, Jesus! 
XOXO Summer

2 comments:

  1. SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU SUMMER!!! Keep on keeping on for JESUS....YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!!! Also....just a reminder....I LOVE YOUR HAIR STYLE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you loved it!!! I am glad that God is dking amazing things in your life!

    ReplyDelete