Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Fairy Godmother

Dear friends, I believe in a lot of things. Harry Potter. Unicorns. Butter as a vitamin. Fairy Godmothers. So when a wonderful, sweet woman came to visit me today, one of my wishes (and beliefs--thank you Disney!) came true. And I was not prepared for it!

In walks my beaming principal and this lovely woman. My boss keeps smiling and taking pictures of me. Bestie Aide is grinning so hard her smile probably caused a few doses of Botox. 'What on earth is going on??'

Y'all. I am not a calm person. So when things like this happen I get all weird and squeaky and make inappropriate jokes. -(seriously at some pioint I asked her if she owned a Sonic. WHO does that?!). Sadly my 20 pre k Loves were there to bear witness to it!  And Mrs. M just kept snapping away!

This kind woman talked to me and the children about how she was a student at our school a long time ago. And she grew up to be a teacher. 

(At this point Beatie Aide had made me sit in a chair.  I. Am. Sweating.)

I digress. This Fairy Godmother told me how she had seen my unfunded Donors Choose grant I had written back in November. NOVEMBER. She went on to tell me how she loves to help other teachers. Especially TPS teachers. Especially Jones Elementary  teachers. 

I'm almost about to pee my pants. Then in walks a sweet student pushing this GIANT cart of these amazing gifts:


Before I know it, I space jumped out of my chair and into this poor unsuspecting woman's arms. Mrs. M still clicking away. Bestie aide still grinning. I am shaking.  Think chihuahua in a rain storm. 


You guys, many of you know how hard it is to get by. We are one of those families. I am obsessed with my kids at school and I would do anything for them, even if it meant eating ramen noodles for a few days so they can eat decent snacks at school. This woman gets that. When I 'hugged her carefully as one does a stranger' -- I'm lying. It was ridiculous. I couldn't let go of her!  Anywho. When I hugged her I could feel that love and energy pass through us. 

Who knows how many wonderful teachers she has helped. No one can describe the waterfall rush of love and gratitude one feels in such a situation. I can't stop crying and my husband thinks I've gone off the deep end. (Luckily I have arm floaties for that!)

My point is this. Give back. It doesn't have to be big and extravagant. Hand someone a diet coke. Trust me-- that's a magic power all in itself!  Give someone a hug. Preferably not the Peter Pan style I proceeded to perform in front of 20 kids and three full grown women. 

Fairy Godmother, you truly are a gift from God! Thank you from the bottom of my crazily beating heart. I hope you know just how very many little lives you have changed today. 

God bless you. Thank you!  PLEASE visit us all the time!!

On third box of Kleenex,
XOXO Summer

2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful! It is so nice when I our kids remember us with kindness and wants to help us out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? So good to know the world is still full of good people!

      Delete