Thursday, November 8, 2012

Bass Babies...sickly edition

Coughing. Snot bubbles. Diarrhea. My idea of a good time! (said no one ever). My kiddos are sick and they are too little for Triaminic or Mucinex. Luckily, through amazing advice from loved ones and fellow Mommies, we have got our sickly snot routines down pat.

I wish they gave out Emmys or Nobel Peace Prizes for Mommy advice. If I won, it would be a great conversation piece on my coffee table... Right next to a spit up rag and questionable sippy cup of presumably unexpired milk. (I'm a good mom, I promise. However, it's survival of the fittest at our house sometimes. Just sayin...)

Anyway. Here is what I have come up with. I hope this helps all new mommies with the upcoming nasty cold weather and flu season!



1. Saline nasal spray. LIFE saver. It's a gentle spray of saline which is natural, harmless, and surprisingly effective at declogging boogers (GAG). I recommend the 'baby' version-which is the one I have- and can be bought in the infant aisle of Walgreens.

2. The nasal aspirator we got to take home from the hospital. I have never bought one... I figured if the doctor trusts it enough to initiate breathing in my newborn, it's good enough to suck out snot. My close friend, Candace, however, swears by a battery operated one. I think you can find them at Target for under $20.

3. Vicks humidifier. Ah-mazing. No more said. Normally removes any congestion and cough through the night. I always place it on the floor next to the crib so the warm air goes up directly into the air the baby breathes. Also, the Vicks humidifier has a little dish you can pour vapors into to help breathing. We have purchased both the humidifier and Vicks vapors at Walmart in the pharmacy section. (these vapors are not the same as the ones you get to rub on the chest.)

4. Vapor rub. Works like a charm. Also, I read on Pinterest if you rub it in their feet and put socks on them right before bed it clears coughs. I tried it and it works! But Bee is going through a FUN stage where socks and shoes are 'optional'. Like I said people, survival of the fittest!

5. Reli-on thermometer. Cheap. Recommended by both my doctor and pharmacist. It can be used under arm, rectally (awkward...), or orally. And it reads in under 9 seconds. Score!  (PS- Thank you to my amazing Mommy for researching and purchasing ours!)

6. Vapor bath. This sweet investment was $1.97 at Target and I do not regret it!!!

I combine all of these things.  Every now and then we have to down a dose of Tylenol as well...but the less 'drugs' in their systems, the better :)

Dreaming of a phlem free world....
xoxo Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment