Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Stir-Fried Leeks w/ Salt & Pepper Shrimp

Oh Ya'll!  This dish was SO GOOD!  And SO SPICY.  My poor babes enthusiastically munched down the shrimp until they could barely handle it and ended up with yogurt and milk to soothe their poor mouths.  Even I thought it was too spicy.  So here's what I did, feel free to omit or add what you want to change the heat factor.

Stir-Fried Leeks w/ Salt and Pepper Shrimp



For Shrimp:
2 tsp sesame seeds-- toasted (I didn't have any so I skipped 'em)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes-- seriously skipping this next time!
1/2 tsp sugar
1 lb large shrimp, peeled (I took the extra five minutes to yank the tails off each one as I was rinsing them) *Aldi's grocery store sells a 1 lb bag of these raw babes for under $10.  Good quality!!

For Stir-Fry:
2 TB peanut oil (I used canola)
2 tsp ginger (I had dried...)
6 cups sliced-- thinly-- leeks (I just bought a 'bunch' which was 3 stalks)-- finally found them at Super Target...no one else has them in yet...
1/4 c diced red bell pepper
1/4 c chicken broth
2 tsp soy sauce

For shrimp:
Toss cleaned shrimp in mixture of salt, pepper, & sugar.  Stir fry in pan of 2 TB oil until firm.  Cooking shrimp takes literally 2 minutes.  Pink on outside.  Firm to touch.  DONE.  

Remove shrimp from heat, set aside.  

Take a minute to start to boil some water for some minute rice (in another pot).  Stir fry your leeks and red bell pepper and ginger in another 1 TB of oil (in same pan shrimp were in).  When the mixture cooks down and soaks up the moisture, add the chicken broth and soy sauce.  YUMMY!  I let my leeks cook way down in the broth, this took about 10 minutes.  Perfect for the rice to cook and be ready at the same time.

Plate it out and enjoy!


What are you eating tonite?
XOXO Summer

Thanks so much, Cuisine at Home for your delish recipe!  You never fail me! 

1 comment:

  1. Next time you might try a pinch of cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce instead. It probably needs a tiny kick of heat, but 1 tsp of red pepper flakes...dang!!

    ReplyDelete